BBC World Service Careers - Ongoing fresh recruitment for the position of Finance & Administration Assistant
The positions and their requirements are specified below:
Job Title: Finance & Administration Assistant
Job Reference: BBC/TP/590126/34305
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
Job Category: Business Management & Administration
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
Reports to: Hub Bureau Manager, Lagos EFT: 1
- The International Bureaux (“IB”) team supports all BBC News bureaux. The Finance & Administration Assistant reports to the Hub Bureau Manager, Lagos in the IB team.
- Within the context above, the Finance & Administration Assistant will liaise with the Hub Bureau Manager, Lagos in ensuring timely and effective day-to-day co-operation between the Lagos Bureau and the relevant authorities in Nigeria, ensuring best practice in the BBC’s compliance with local regulations governing such areas as financial, tax, media and employment law.
- You will report in first instance to the Hub Bureau Manager, Lagos for the day-to-day running of the Lagos Bureau’s administration and finances.
- You will support administration and financial affairs for all parts of BBC News group in Nigeria.
- In doing so, the post holder will have to work with the IB and IB Finance teams, as well as local suppliers where necessary.
You will be supporting financial controls, the administration of strategic initiatives, and best practice in the Lagos Bureau and will work closely with the Hub Bureau Manager, Lagos, the Accountant, the Africa Bureaux Editor and the Editors, BBC Pidgin, Yoruba & Igbo Services, providing proactive financial support for planning and deployment decisions, as well as providing purchasing assistance.
- Reviewing invoices and coding and submitting them online for payment after authorisation.
- Reviewing and certifying expenses to ensure compliance with BBC Expenses Policy.
- Updating and maintaining various financial spreadsheets, using excel and ensuring compliance with BBC policies and procedures relating to purchasing and accounts.
- Assisting in the administration of petty cash.
HR Administration Duties:
- Supporting “on-boarding” activities in relation to new starters and exiting of leavers.
- Organising the logistics of training courses as required.
- Organising the logistics of job interviews and assessments.
- Preparing monthly payroll data for Lagos under the supervision of the Hub Bureau Manager, Lagos as required.
- Assisting with the administration of various benefit schemes including medical insurance, group life insurance and liaison with Retirement Saving Accounts.
- Supporting rota and leave management activities.
General Administration Duties:
- Managing office stationary supplies.
- General bureau administration of arranging permits, visas etc.
- Responsibility for hotel reservations and arrangements for visiting BBC staff etc.
- Organising transport for guests as necessary.
- Ensuring the BBC Lagos Bureau complies with all relevant BBC safety procedures.
- Keeping other team members informed of issues affecting them.
- Escalating all issues to the Hub Bureau Manager, Lagos and as appropriate.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience of and ability to work flexibly and pragmatically in an operational environment.
- A lively interest in the broadcast news, online news and wider media environment and appreciation of the particular demands it may place on financial and administrative work.
- Good working knowledge of the BBC’s Health and Safety procedures.
- Excellent written and spoken English. Working knowledge of Yoruba, Igbo or Pidgin would be an advantage.
- Nigerian Driving Licence would be an advantage.
- Ability to prioritise, to use initiative and to work effectively under pressure without close supervision.
- Able to communicate effectively with a range of people and at all levels of the BBC.
- Good planning and organising skills and the ability to prioritise effectively
- Practical knowledge and skills in using a range of packages, including Word, Excel and accounting packages.
- Ability to meet deadlines, often under pressure.
- Experience of producing timely and accurate information and reports.
- Able to work with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Planning and organisation – able to think ahead in order to establish and efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Communication – able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Influencing and persuading – able to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Managing relationships and team working – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Resilience – manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Flexibility: Adapts to changing circumstances and displays a positive attitude to the process of change
Click here for more Information (Pdf)
Application Deadline 1st January, 2019.