In 1965, the Standard Bank of South Africa merged with the Bank of West Africa acquiring businesses including a banking operation in Nigeria, which dated back to 1894. The name was then changed to Standard Bank of West Africa. Four years after the merger, Standard Bank Nigeria was incorporated locally to take over the business in Nigeria. In 1971, 13% of the share capital was placed with Nigerian investors. The end of the civil war saw a major economic upturn and as a consequence, the military government sought to increase local control of the retail-banking sector, hence the Bank’s investment in Standard Bank Nigeria (renamed First Bank of Nigeria in 1979) was reduced to 38%. Standard Chartered remained a shareholder of First Bank of Nigeria until 1996.
Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria International Graduate Programme 2020 - We attract talented individuals. Not only can they give you the benefit of their experience, they also reveal a closer, more personal look at the wide range of global opportunities we offer. At the core of the Group's people strategy is our focus on employee engagement. Engagement is a key driver of productivity and performance, which creates the foundation of our performance culture.
Applications are invited for the position below:
Job Title: 2020 - International Graduate Programme - Global Banking - Nigeria
Ref Id: IGGBNG20
- Global Banking supports clients financial needs across more than 60 markets, providing solutions to over 5,3000 clients in some of the world’s fastest-growing economies and most active trade corridors. Our clients include large corporations, governments, banks and investors headquartered, operating or investing in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Our strong and deep local presence across these markets enables us to facilitate trade, capital and investment flows in and for our footprint, including across China’s Belt and Road initiative.
- Our Global Banking team provides client coverage through global Industries group, financial & strategic investors group, banks and broker dealers, global subsidiaries, investors and insurance, commercial real estate focused Relationship Managers.
- We collaborate increasingly with other segments: introducing Commercial Banking services to our clients’ ecosystems - their networks of buyers, suppliers, customers and service providers - and offering our clients employee banking services through Retail Banking.
The programme provides a comprehensive grounding in corporate and commercial banking, and will see you working directly with a diverse range of business and corporate customers alongside our Corporate/Financial Institutions Bankers. You can explore how your skills can adapt to different areas of our business while developing new skills to help kick-start your career in the Global Banking. Here are some projects you could be involved in:
- Generate creative ideas on customer acquisition and products/ services
- Work directly with new clients to learn, analyse and identify opportunities to advance their business, developing a deep understanding of our customers’ needs, and expertise in the products we offer
- Map, mine and implement cross sell opportunities to expand existing client relationships
- Partner with Relationship Managers to structure client transactions, acquiring insight into product development, deal execution and digital banking
- Prepare customer credit proposals
- Credit Analysis
- Relationship Management
Your Career Progression:
- At the end of your 18-month programme, you’ll join a role within Global Banking. These could be in areas such as:
What You’ll do over 18 Months
- 4 weeks International induction - This comprises of classroom sessions, case studies, and tailored technical training split by business stream.
- 11 months training rotation - Your will spend three months in your focus area and go on to broaden your experience with further two months rotations in Financial Markets, Corporate Finance*, Transaction Banking and Risk.
- 6 months Business rotation - Your last rotation will be six months in your focus area in Global Banking. It’s your chance to find the team you fit into best, and begin your Standard Chartered career.
*This will depend on whether your location has a Corporate Finance offering.
- You must have an undergraduate degree, we want and encourage applications from candidates from all degree disciplines.
- And as English is our business language, it needs to be at least one of those you speak fluently. These are our only requirements as our selection and assessment system is designed to measure strengths, fit to our business and cognitive agility, we do not shortlist based on your university and grades.
- For our Graduate roles, you must have an undergraduate degree and be eligible to work permanently in the country that you are applying to. If you’re applying for a role in the UAE, we may consider applications from nationals of Middle East and North African countries.
Application Closing Date