The British High Commission Abuja is the diplomatic mission of the British sovereign and the British Government to Nigeria, representing the United Kingdom and the United Kingdom's interests. It is located at Maitama in Abuja, the federal capital territory of Nigeria.
British High Commission Jobs in Nigeria 2023 - The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Applications are invited for the position of Procurement Officer in Lagos.
Purpose of Job
- The jobholder will support the Corporate Services team in Finance and Procurement processes as well as ensuring that post is in line with audit requirements and compliant with One HMG guidance and policies.
Roles and Responsibilities
- To ensure procurement is undertaken in line with FCO policies and principles. To support the Head of Procurement and Head of Corporate Services at post and across the network, to achieve financial compliance and integrity.
- Provide a commercial lead on platform procurement needs under £25k closely following VMF principles.
- Working with the Regional Procurement Hub for Post to comply with the FCO Procurement policies and guidelines.
- Reviewing all the supporting documents of a Supplier Maintenance Form and submit to Head of Corporate Services for approval.
- Working with the Regional Procurement Hub and Embassy sections on opportunities for framework agreement and cost savings initiative.
- Conduct regular market research in order to maximise VFM procurement opportunities and routes to market.
- Manage active supplier list and ensure it is fit for purpose across procurement categories.
- Maintain agreed supplier list in conjunction with the Procurement Hub
- Maintain records of suppliers and documentation
- Perform Supplier yearly market testing
- Lead procurement of capital expenditure at the BDHC, which includes generators, vehicles and other assets.
- Monthly housekeeping of open Purchase Order’s (PO’s), Goods Received Not Invoiced (GRNI) report, ensuring that PO’s are closed in a timely manner, investigate any ‘red’ scores on the post report.
- Work closely with the accounts team to ensure invoices are received and uploaded for timely payment.
- Other procurement task as directed by line management.
- Manage the contract tender process of various procurements of goods, services or work projects. This will include; sourcing of suppliers, creation of input and agreement of specification, preparation of tender documentation, liaison and coordination with suppliers to clarify requirements, coordination and evaluation of bids, seek appropriate approval, direct negotiation, agreement of contracts their management and closure for the BDHC, Lagos.
- Manage documentation off all purchases and tenders above £25k through the Procurement hub.
- Ensure all contracts are delivered and managed in line with FCO legal requirements and procedures.
- Working with the different teams at Post to monitor supplier performance based on agreed KPIs.
Budget Management and Forecast Amendments:
- Support planning and forecasting of seasonal procurement needs across departments.
- Arrange budget meetings in consultation with the Head of Corporate Services, attend meetings and take minutes, distribute to budget holders.
- Lead on asset disposal in addition to any other capital assets as advised by DHCS in line with policy.
- Responsible for maintaining the Fixed Asset Register for BDHC, Lagos.
- Act as cover in charge of the stationary store in the absence of the CS assistant.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- B.Sc. in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field
- Previous procurement/contract management experience in a structured organisation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, in particular, Excel
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Proficient written and spoken English.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Have a Master’s degree in any related field
- Be a member of CIPS with road map to completing the course.
- Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Working Together.
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
- Working patterns: Full-time but should be willing to work flexible hours
Application Closing Date
20th January, 2023.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-frameworkPlease note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5&
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates